History

In 1954, Cary, North Carolina was a very small town west of Raleigh when a survey by the denomination identified the need for a Presbyterian Church in the area. By August of the same year, a steering committee led by The Reverend Charles E. Johnson arranged to hold services at what was then Cary High School on Academy Street (today the Cary Arts Center). The first worship service took place on September 5, 1954. A commissioning service was held on February 20, 1955 and Rev. Johnson became the pastor.

On March 1, ten acres of land on the site of an old dairy farm was purchased. A groundbreaking for the new church was held November 6, 1955 on the building site in Cary’s Russell Hills community. Much of the labor and materials for the original structure were donated. On September 9, 1956, Cary Presbyterian’s 67 charter members were able to attend the first worship service in the new sanctuary. 

Cary Presbyterian began the first church-sponsored state-approved kindergarten program in Cary in September 1958, soon followed by the first Boy Scout program in Cary. 

During the 1960s, church membership had grown to more than 200 and an education wing was added to the original building. 

First sanctuary building (1955)
Children's and Adult choirs (1960s era)
New sanctuary building (1988)

During the next decades, CPC continued its outreach in the community and beyond. Members played an active role in establishing Christian Community in Action (now known as Dorcas Ministries), began a longstanding mission commitment to Appalachia Service Project, and supported mission work in Haiti, Guatemala, and actively engaged in disaster relief efforts in North Carolina, Louisiana, and Mississippi.

 

As Cary grew, CPC responded to the needs of a growing congregation and community with a renovation of the CPC Preschool and Christian Education facilities.

The 2001 building campaign also included a new and expanded fellowship hall and a fully-outfitted kitchen, which enabled us to host not only church-sponsored programs, but also community events like blood drives and programs for  
the Carying Place Ministry.

CPC currently supports a summer food service program in collaboration with several nearby churches.

Our congregation retired the debt on our latest construction project in 2016 and is currently debt-free.

CPC hosts two annual blood drives in our fellowship hall, one in the fall and one in the spring.
Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial
Facebook